GLOBAL DWELLING: Intertwining Community, Sustainability and Technology
About the Seminar
The OIKONET Postgraduate Workshops provide a lively, varied and inclusive environment for junior researchers and PhD students to present and discuss research works which address dwelling in our contemporary societies from a multidisciplinary and multidimensional perspective.
Following the success of the first OIKONET Postgraduate Workshop in Valencia in June 2017, the second edition hosted by ISCTE-IUL, will take place in Lisbon, February 15 to 16, 2018.
The aims of the workshop are:
- To facilitate the exchange of knowledge and experiences among junior researchers working in areas linked to dwelling in global contemporary societies;
- To contribute to the development of innovative pedagogic and research programs which address housing studies from a multidisciplinary approach;
- To develop frameworks to engage communities in the definition, solution and evaluation of local housing problems in a global context;
- To explore the interplay between planning and design across multiple scales and dimensions, to find appropriate mechanisms to deal with dwelling in global societies in academia, research and practice;
- To foster the emergence of new study areas which result from the intertwining of community outreach, sustainable practices in housing design and provision, and digital technologies.
OIKONET is a network of 34 schools of architecture and planning, research groups, professional and community organizations, and local administrations from 25 countries in Europe and around the world. The goal of the network is to promote innovation in the study of dwelling at a global scale by interlinking three areas: pedagogy, research and community participation. Through the activities developed with the support of the Lifelong Learning Programme of the European Union in the last three years, OIKONET has created a platform to promote the study of contemporary housing from a multidisciplinary and global perspective by encompassing the multiple dimensions which condition the forms of dwelling in contemporary societies (architectural, urban, environmental, economic, cultural and social).
The activities carried out in OIKONET between 2013 and 2016 have brought together multiple stakeholders and disciplines. Some of the most relevant events organized by the network were:
- Three international conferences on the theme “Global Dwelling” carried out in Barcelona (2014), Bratislava (2015) and Manchester (2016).
- Three international workshops with the participation of students and tutors from the participating schools, dedicated to address contemporary dwelling issues at its various scales in case studies located in Lisbon (2014), Berlin/Cottbus (2015) and Belgrade (2016).
- 15 working meetings dedicated to discuss topics related with contemporary dwelling involving researchers, community representatives and architecture and planning professors.